Rzhev is the second largest city in the Tver region, the first city along the Volga, a city of military glory.
The city has an ancient history, which, however, for Rzhev was blocked by the events of the Great Patriotic War. After bloody battles, only about 5% of buildings were preserved in the city, and now the city is a living monument to the war. After the war, Rzhev was totally rebuilt.
Attractions to view:
Church of the Okovetskaya Icon of the Mother of God
Ascension Church, Toropetsky tract. Built in 1856 in the Byzantine style on the banks of the Volga. Nearby is a similar-style chapel.
Pokrovskaya Old Believer Church. Built in 1910 on the site of an old Russian-style prayer house.
The building of the state bank (Ryabushinsky house). Although the building with a spire and a star on it resembles Soviet architecture, it is an example of modernity, built in 1908 as a branch of the Ryabushinsky banking house, and has not changed its purpose since then. Now there is the Treasury.
The building of the diocesan school. Built in the style of classicism in 1856.
Nevertheless, in its architecture, Rzhev is inferior to many cities in Russia, and the main interest in its visit is not related to it. The city and its surroundings are literally saturated with the atmosphere of the Great Patriotic War, there are countless monuments and memorials here.