The Palace was erected in the 18th century on the ‘governmental route’ - for Catherine the Great to stay during her trips from Moscow to St. Petersburg and back.
The building survived in 1917 revolution and the 2nd World War and has a great historic value. Usually such travel lodges were no so vivid and impressive, like this one. the Palace is located on the site of a former bishop’s house that was destroyed by the fire of 1763.
Famous architects worked on the project: it was designed by Kazakov and Vallin de la Mothe and then reconstructed by Carlo Rossi and Joseph Bové at the beginning of the 19th century.
In that times the palace’s function changed: it became the residence of the Tver general governor and a fashionable literary salon. The interiors were decorated with luxury textile wallpaper, parquet, mirrors, paintings and sculptures. A lot of nice things to see there today: after the 2012 restoration.