Smolny (lit. Resins) Cathedral in St. Petersburg is located on the left bank of the Neva River, in the Smolny Yard area, in the place where resin was made for the manufacture of ships.
The temple is built in the Baroque style, in architecture, organically combined elements of ancient Russian architecture and European architecture.
The construction started on the project of architect B. Rastrelli, in 1748. Its location in the center of the courtyard and a height of 93.7 meters create a sense of the structure going in the sky high.
The building can accommodate up to 6000 people. According to the architect's plan, the tallest five-tier bell tower in Russia should have been built next to it. However, these plans were not destined to come true. Rastrelli died in 1771, and did not see his creation in its final form. His followers decided that the high bell tower would not fit in the city landscape.
The monastic complex has been building for about 87 years, breaking all records of long-term construction. Interior decoration was completed only in 1835.
At first, the monastery was called the Vosckresensky (Resurrection) Novodevichy, then for briefness - the Smolny. It was consecrated as a cathedral in the presence of Empress Elizabeth in 1748. Since 1765 in the buildings of the monastery was an educational institution for girls of noble and philistine origin.
The ensemble of the monastery is a historical and architectural monument of world significance. Today, the complex is a branch of the State Museum-monument "St. Isaac's Cathedral". Concerts, exhibitions of painting, graphics and arts and crafts, as well as scientific, historical, and artistic museum exhibitions are held here.