The length of the walls of the Moscow Kremlin reaches 2.5 kilometers. The thickness of the walls reached 6.5 meters and a height of 19 meters. Many years ago, it was completely impregnable.
The Kremlin, which we see now, was built in the 15th century on the basis of the old, white stone, by order of Ivan III.
There are 20 towers, three of which are round, the rest are rectangular.
Red stars were installed on the Kremlin towers only in the 30s of the XX century. Before the red stars were hoisted on the Kremlin towers, they were decorated with double-headed eagles.
Under the Kremlin walls there are numerous underground passages and shelters.
Once the Kremlin was a real island. There were ditches connected to the river. Later the ditches were filled up.
The chimes on the Spasskaya Tower always show perfectly accurate time, because they are directly connected to the control clock of the astronomical institute.
During the war of 1812, when Moscow was left to the French, Napoleon Bonaparte ordered the Kremlin to be blown up. Part of the bombs did not work, but three towers were completely destroyed, and many buildings were damaged.
In the middle of the 20th century, townspeople lived in the Kremlin, but in 1955 it became prohibited by the law, the last tenants left it in 1962.
The battlements on the walls are made in the shape of the letter “M”, which is unusual for Russian culture. This novelty was brought to the decoration of the Russian Kremlin by Italians, who believed that it would allow better defense if necessar