The name of the station is associated with the Krasnye Vorota square (The Red Gates). Here, in 1709 a triumphal arch-gates were built to meet the Russian troops returning from the Battle of Poltava.
In 1927, the arch was demolished, and the symbolic image was left only in the interior of the metro station of the same name.
From 1941 to 1992, the square was called Lermontovskaya - in honor of the poet Mikhail Lermontov, who was born in a house that was located on the place of the present high-rise building near the square. From May 29, 1962 to August 25, 1986, the station was also called “Lermontovskaya”.
In 1938, the station project was awarded the Grand Prix of the International World Fair in Paris.
Moreover, in 1952, the first turnstile in the history of the metro was installed at the station (not counting the experimental model of 1935 installed at the Biblioteka im. Lenina station) and on July 28, 1959, the turnstile based on the principle of free passage was tested for the first time.
In 1949-1953, one of the Stalin skyscraper was built on the Krasnye Vorota Square with a built-in northern exit of the Krasnye Vorota metro station.
You can find out more about Seven Stalin Skyscrapers on our page.