Ilyinsky Square is located between Ilyinsky Gate, Lubyansky passage, Slavyanskaya Square and Old Square. ▪This square is small, with an area of 2.38 hectares and is located between the four exits of the Kitai-Gorod metro station.
The Pleven Chapel, a monument to the grenadiers who fell in battle near Plevna, was built on the voluntary donations of the surviving grenadiers - participants in the battle of the same name during the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878.
The opening of the chapel took place on November 27, 1887, on the day of the tenth anniversary of the heroic battle of Plevna. The author of the project is academician of architecture V.O. Sherwood.
In recent years, memorial services have been held at the chapel for Russian grenadier soldiers who died in battles near Plevna in order to free the fraternal Balkan peoples from the yoke of the Ottoman Empire.