Chistoprudny Boulevard was built in the 1820s, during the restoration of Moscow after the great fire of 1812.
This is the largest boulevard of the Moscow Boulevard ring in area and the second after Tversky in length (822 meters). In addition to the wide main alley, there is also a quiet side, separated by a lawn.
On the boulevard there are Chistye Prudy (lit "Clean Ponds"). In fact, the pond is one only one. Chistye Prudy were formed due to the dam of the river Rachka. Up until the end of the 17th century, local butchers dumped garbage into Rachka and the pond. Menshikov, who bought the land, cleaned the ponds and strictly forbade them to be polluted; since then they are called Chistye ("clean").
The pond became a favorite place for boating in summer and skating in winter.
The buildings of both sides of the boulevard were mostly mansions of noble people. In the second half of the XIX century, they passed into the hands of merchants and bureaucracy. Then several multi-storey apartment buildings appeared. Soviet avant-garde period and Stalinist style are also represented here.
In January 1966, a two-story glass cafe opened here. In 2006, a monument to Abai Kunanbayev and a fountain appeared.