The monastery was founded in 1398 at the request of Knyaz Yuri Dmitrievich Zvenigorodsky. Th Abbot of the monastery became the spiritual father of Knyaz Yuri - Savva of Radonezh.
In 1405 in the center of the monastery was built and preserved to this day white stone Cathedral of the Nativity of the blessed virgin. In 1652 during the period of the Streletsy riot, juvenile kings Ivan and Peter and their sister Sophia were hiding in the monastery.
The organizing center of the architectural ensemble is the Cathedral of the Nativity of the virgin. It stands on the highest point of the hill. The Christmas Church is a valuable monument of early Moscow architecture, it is one ot the five oldest stone churches of the Moscow princedom.
On the Monastery territory, many benches are installed. You can sit down on any of them and look at the buildings of different times and styles: elegant Trinity gate Church (1652), strict Palace of Alexei Mikhailovich (XVII cent), Tsaritsyn chamber (mid of XVII cent), similar to the fabulous painted house, belfry (mid of XVII cent), a concise Church of the Transfiguration (XVII century), the monastery and the refectory chamber.
The monastery is opened daily from 6:00 until the end of the evening worship.
Moscow region, Zvenigorod, Ratehinsky highway, 8